Friday, May 7, 2010

4/26 through 4/27 (Last bit of Texas)





4/26 – To Paris, TX – Super Burger

Today I rode support with Libby and we sang some songs. She sings really well and at one point I think it was helping me fall asleep. I awoke sort of grumpy just as we arrived at the Eiffel Tower of Paris, TX, decked out as it is with a red cowboy hat on top. Soon a news van came to film us for local 99 here in Paris, TX.

So we left there and arrived at First United Methodist Church (FUMC). Again, the methodists hooked us up with dinner and lodging. This building is a basketball gym but there are lots of sofas and I am on one tonight.

After dinner I walked to Jaxx in downtown (a quaint little town). Chris and Sarah came and played on the internet, while I downed the biggest burger of my life (4 patties). I have eaten really well. I recall a 3 pattie monster with 20oz beer a couple days ago with Pete. Maybe I will tackle a food challenge with Brian soon.

For all the rest of it, my shoulder is doing ok. It is better than the first time, I'll say that.

One thing worth mentioning are recurring themes on this ride. For one, we are constantly in basketball gyms. At high schools, churches, synagoges, and community centers, we find ourselves sleeping on hardwood basketball courts. Light floors, dark ones, dirty ones, shiny ones. Some of high schools have banners all over, proclaiming their dominance over the rest.

Another theme is religion. It is hard to avoid because we constantly get free dinners from Methodists, Baptists, Jews. We bow our heads and most of us say Amen, as they bless our free meals. Occasionally there is a night service and some of us go, if for no other reason than to be hospitable. I have been to more services on this trip than I had in the last several years combined. My favorite part is the singing.

4/27 – To Texarkana, TX with Tim


Images all from 4/27 - 1: "Cafe," 2: tombstones out front of "Cafe," 3: "Cafe" owner, 4: one of several fields beautified by yellow weeds

It was a good day riding in the sweep van, resting my shoulder. Tim and I hit up a McDonald’s on our way out of Paris, TX, taking advantage of their free internet. We then drove off and landed at a gas station where we gambled away $6 in quarters.

It was a machine that contained a bunch of quarters behind a glass wall. When a quarter was entered, a sliding scraper would sweep forward raising your hopes that several quarts would fall off of the ledge. The quarters in the front were glued down and we left disappointed.

Our next stop was at a place labeled “Café” in a town of maybe 800 people. We met a guy that I hope never reads this, because he is crazy and I don’t want to hurt is feelings by calling him crazy. He had a bunch of coffins in his café and a bunch of tombstones out front. He was translating a Spanish text into English, some book he was amazed by. He also told us about a giant hole he found on his property, then showed us. He had stuck a bunch of ladders down in it. Apparently he had driven right by it for seven years but just found it today. He was a very fascinating guy, but we decided we might grab some food elsewhere.

We met up with Ampersand (Andy), who signs emails with a “&” and had lunch. It was at the Red Rooster café which featured delectable authentic food of the deep south. I had chicken fried steak and a lot of sweet tea. I was tempted to try a deep fried oreo, but we had to get going.

On down the road, still smooth sailing for the riders and little work for us to do, we found an icee shop. There were like 40 flavors to choose from and bottom line is, the lady was so kind to give us our stuff for free (after hearing about our mission). After that we killed a little time in a library before going on into Texarkana, TX at 4pm.

The place we stayed in was one of the nicest of the trip. Again it was a basketball gym, but it also had nice wireless internet and several tables and chairs, and even televisions. Here we had a journal club on PEPFAR’s effectiveness in fighting HIV/AIDS in Africa.

It was a good day. Having not ridden in six days, my body has really settled into a comfy place. I’m stuffing my face with food and deserts, but still not gaining much weight. My shoulder still needs a week or two, but I’m feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment