Sunday, June 20, 2010

5/8 through 5/11




































5/8 – First Full Ride Day Back (60 miles) – Natchez Trace – To Nashville, TN

I rode the Natchez Trace Parkway for 60 miles today. The ride was very nice and many said it was one of the best of the trip, if not the best. It was gorgeous. We even stopped at a waterfall, which was very impressive, the best I have ever seen. I had ridden the Natchez Trace before, several months ago in Mississippi on my EM externship. The 450 mile rode connects Tupelo, MS with Nashville, TN.The weather was perfect, high 60's, chilly only on downhills after stopping.

After the trace, the route was still nice. We passed by a bunch of gorgeous big old plantation homes. Then we found ourselves accidently riding backwards in the Franklin Rodeo Parade. We finished the ride and I thought I did well for my first full day back.

Nashville was a ton of fun at night. I danced and all that stuff, dancing with a bride-to-be at her batchelorette night out. Nashville has a nice little downtown party district, with a couple nice blocks of stuff to do. 2nd ave is the place to be, but much of it was quiet secondary to the recent flood (waters have receded). Many places were open for the first time this night. I'm sure there are other fun districts in town. I think Beale street in Memphis still takes the cake, with closed off streets for pedestrians (similar to Bourbon street in New Orleans). The music here in Nashville was way better though. The band was a huge motivation for me to get loose and dance. They did motivate me, draw out my passion. The band before them was also really good (some female country/rock singer and her group).

5/9 – Nashville Day Off

I awoke a with a little headache and dizziness having not slept enough after the night out. Bryce informed us that we had brunch coming from a Mormon contact of his. OK, so I will have the brunch, it's free. So I hung out and did pretty much nothing, just feeling crummy, just wanting a shower and food and a dark place to crawl in and sleep. So I hung out. I went into the public bathroom where an old black guy was rapping on and on about this and that. Yeah he was telling me about the flood and the aftermath and the people whose homes where hit. He was sponge-bathing in the sink. He tipped me off that the bus was free today (the city cutting people a break after the floods). I showered and the brunch arrived.

It was a big muffin and a chobani yogurt minus the sweet fruit bottom. I really wasn't in a big talky mood and I kinda just kept quiet around the group as they recounted last night's events. Uggh, hung over. So I ate and then krept back up the stairs to my sleeping bag, sleepy time. I stayed in for much of the rest of the day, getting a little sleep and a lot of chill time.

When I finally got up, it was to go to dinner with Brian, Sarah, and Adam. We were a good four person group even though deciding on dinner was tough. We found a good spot and everyone enjoyed their meal (Steak and Spaghetti House in downtown Nashville). I had a great steak with chicken pasta. The bread was also great. All were pleased.

I had a little ice cream and we went back to the rec center, which was part of the baptist church located so conveniently in downtown. I slept on a foam mattress and it was very comfy.

5/10 – 81 miles into Kentucky – Getting My Legs Back – Solo Riding

I felt way stronger today on the bike than I did for the 60 miler a couple days ago. My shoulder felt way better too. It was like I just woke on the right side of the bed today and just felt positive, even though alone.

I rode off with the group, ready to complete a scheduled century. It was chilly and gray and there was talk of rain. Many seemed to be in poor spirits or maybe just expecting the worst. Again, I felt good.

I started with the group but stopped for Jody, whose brake was rubbing in the back. We rode together the whole day, which was only 60 miles secondary to a group decision to rack and drive to the Mammoth Cave. This really upset me.

Feeling as great as I did, riding really strong, having a good day, I was very annoyed by the group decision to rack. I was alone in wanting to ride. Tim was barking at me and pissed because I even wanted to ride. He was somewhat insulting, though I don't think that was his intention. I had no phone, no maps, and nobody to ride with. Thus frustrated, I decided I had no choice, and I took off my front wheel. Just then, as I had accepted this frustration, Ampersand started to explain things to me, started to jump in with the reason. I felt like he was trying to take away my right to frustration, and I just snapped, cursing him out. A group saw the scene, which was basically a few loud F bombs directed at Andy and then walking away. In the end, things worked out in a sense.

Racked and still very frustrated, annoyed at all the followers and the leaders, I rode in the van, upset. I really wanted to ride in Kentucky, because I want to get all 50 states and this was going to blow it. A decision to see some caves I didn’t care about was going to blow my shot at Kentucky miles (the next day was support and then a flight out for graduation, this was my only chance). When we got to the caves, I just couldn't bear to go in. I just couldn't, like I just could not do it. Something from inside was saying "NO."

While everyone went inside and checked out the caves, I unracked and rode an extra 21 miles. It was one of my favorite little portions of riding, perhaps on the whole trip, mainly because I vented a lot of frustrations.

I got back on time and racked my bike with a still-injured shoulder, like a champ. I climbed the rear wheel and one-handed my bike up to the rack. I got it done, then the wheel. And my timing was perfect. The group went to an event at a pizza hut with a Lion's Club. We met a couple cyclists going from NY to San Fran (with paniers), raising money for autism. They came home with us.

The night was spent in a barn with tons of character, and too much dirt for Voss (slept in the van). I had a couple beers, ate a bunch of carbs (cookies, powerbars, goldfish, etc) and prepared for a support day.

5/11 – Support Day to Louisville, KY – Flight home for Graduation

I had a great support day with Jody. We get along well on support and have a similar mindframe when it comes to responsibilities and relaxing. She keeps losing her phone and rummaging through the van throwing stuff everywhere and it is funny. We supported the riders well at the first water stop and the lunch stop on what was a very neat route through Kentucky.

The roads were hilly and curvy and fun to even drive, let alone bike. We played lots of music for people and did our two second parties when passing by. We had some trouble catching the lead group who were hauling ass down hills, but we finally caught up at mile 50, just in time to get ahead for a lunch stop.

Our stopping point was a cool gas station and we played lots of music. I had a pork loin sandwich from this local gas joint.

After lunch we went to Chris' friend's place, our place for the night in New Albany, IN, a suburb of Louisville, KY. I soon had to leave for my plane ride. It was a little melancholy saying goodbye to a few people, those I will miss. I gave Pete an Extenze bottle; I figure it is the least I could do for him.

Off to the airport, I was with Josh, the portion rider EM resident at UMass. He and I chilled in the airport and then the airplane (both connecting to Chicago). I immediately missed people and became tired in the airport, more tired than I had been for the whole ride, for weeks. It was odd to be back in the real world, free really, as if suddenly able to move in extra dimensions. It was like there was a purpose to thinking again, like it might help something. My thoughts might actually make a difference, guide my behaviors, and cause something to happen (on the ride, I just keep my mouth shut and go with the flow.)

At mom's place that night, I had a routine meal that was extremely spectacular to me. It was one of the better meals of my life. My sleep that night was also quite amazing, for 11 or so hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment